Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

LIFE IN CHINA

zars

zars

Mexico

Well, this post is for Chinese people.

Lately I realized that you're almost the half of the world population, so I have some questions that I would like to know about you.

do you think that living in china is great?

What do you think about your government?

According to what I have read, China will become the most powerful country in less than 10 years, even more powerful than US, so what do you think about this?

What do you think about wars??? Do you agree with North Korea that is testing nuclear bombs?

Well, that's all by now, but I still have other questions that I'd like to ask you, thanks in advance. 

06:51 PM Oct 19 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

zars

zars

Mexico

Thanks for the replies and for the information, it's really interesting. 

Hey I figured out that if I were in China I'd get a job.

A friend of mine sent me a message, in which I found a "test" that supposedly is applied to those who want a job.

I'd like to know if this is true and I'll tell you what this test is about:

There are a mother, 2 daughters, a father 2 sons, a police officer and a thief

The mother can't stay in the same place with any of the sons without the father presence. 

The father can't stay in the same place with any of the daughters without the mother presence.

The thief can't stay with any member of the family without the police officer presence.

They are at one side of the river and they all have to pass through the other side. 

Well, it took me around 5 mins but I got to solve it. So I guess I'd be able to get a job there. And of course try to solve it if you can, also if you want I'll tell you the solution.

05:06 PM Nov 03 2006 |

firefox

firefox

China

hi I think it is not  complete.

In your story, these persons can walk together to cross the river  

07:16 PM Nov 03 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Ups you're quite right I forgot to say that there's a ship which can only carry 2 persons and that only the mother, the father and the police officer know how to drive it.

10:02 PM Nov 03 2006 |

firefox

firefox

China

04:04 AM Nov 04 2006 |

firefox

firefox

China

I do not think there is a solution.

If the police drives back, the thief will stay with others.

If the mother drives back, the father will stay with daughters.

If the father drive back, the mother sill stay with sons.

03:46 AM Nov 05 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Sure there is a solution.

06:50 AM Nov 05 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

1) cop + thief >>>>> thief stays, cop drives back

2) cop + 1 son >>>>> son stays,    cop+thief drive back.

3) dad + 1 son >>>>> son stays, dad drives back

4) dad + mom >>>>>> dad stays, mom drives back.

5) cop + thief >>>> cop and thief stay, dad drives back

6) mom, dad, 2 daughters still stay at this side of the river, then mom + dad >>>>> only mom drives back.

7) Only mom, 2 daughters stay at this side of the river, then mom+1 daughter >>>>>, the cop and thief drive back.

8) 1 daughter, cop and thief at this side of the river at this moment.  So cop + 1 daughter >>>>, and then cop drives back.

9) cop + thief drive acrose the river finally.

DONE

06:50 AM Nov 05 2006 |

huhu0000

huhu0000

China

if u want to know china , the best way is to come here . and live here for some time . then any question you want to know , time will tell you .

08:55 AM Nov 05 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Congratulations Sherryleio, you did it, it means that you'd get a job if you were in China, wait a second… you're in China hehe

how much time did it take you? I needed almost 10 mins.

huhu, I wish I could go there, but it's very expensive, but maybe some day who knows?

I'd like to know more about the having children subject, I have been told how many kids you can have, so what happens if you already have a son and the mother gets pregnant again???

02:46 PM Nov 06 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Thanks, Zars, I love doing such puzzles, it's fun. Well, it took me five minutes or so to get myself on the right track, and then total 10 minutes or so, I worked out the whole course. We tied in the game, lol, joking.

As to your question, well, it depends on what cases are.  If the pregnancy is an accident, and they decide not having it, then the mother goes to the hospital and has an abortion. I know, I know, abortion is a very controversial subject, it is illegal in some countries. 

But if the pregnancy is planned, and they often do anything to keep this child, like hide in somewhere, or relative's place, some may make it, give birth to the baby successfully, and pay a fine when the baby is born.  Some may end up going to hospital to have a forced abortion, especially where the birth control is taken pretty seriously.  Even the fine, it various in different places, often big cities are much higher than the small towns and countrysides, this is because the income is quite different. If you know China more, you will get to know that the gap between the poor and the rich is getting larger and larger, while charity  is not so popular as that in some western countries, it is getting improved though.

Even though I do not agree with Indian's more kids, more better, I don't think one kid is good for the kid's growing.  The only kid often thinks he or she is the center of the world.  To be honest, I thought of having another kid a few years ago, but gave it up, for two reasons, one is the huge fine, neither of me or my hubby is boss, lol; another reason, it is also hard for us to raise another kid in such situation, the expenditure for education and something like that is so high.   

Some changes indicate that the birth control is getting loose, so maybe it is not long for us to see Chinese families with two children. Children is our hope. 

08:09 AM Nov 07 2006 |