Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Exposure Therapy
Exposure Therapy

Learn English meaning of ‘exposure therapy’

Date: Sep 06 2017

Themes: Friend, Health

Grammar: Relative Pronouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Fear and anxiety. Who isn’t afraid of something in life? Maybe, you’re afraid of spooky things like being in the dark. Maybe, you’re afraid of things in life, like being alone or being rejected. These fears can sometimes become anxiety. In medical terms, anxiety is stress or fears that make daily life difficult. In the worst cases, these anxieties turn into phobias.

Phobias are extreme cases of fear and anxiety. There are many, many phobias. Claustrophobia is the extreme fear of being in compact spaces. Cibophobia is the fear of eating. Agoraphobia is the fear of going outside. For people who have phobias, it can be very hard to face that fear and overcome it. But some of them will actually expose themselves to their fear to overcome it. They do exposure therapy.

Romeo has a phobia and describes it to Andy. Listen as Andy gives him advice in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Andy_H

Andy_H

Romeo:  I know that I never told you this before, but I have claustrophobia. And I don’t think I’m going to be able to like cope in this big huge stadium surrounded by all these people who have these like, you know, ticks and nasty habits. And it’s going to be this small space and they’re going to be sweating. And they’re going to be all up on me. And they’re going to be moving and touching me.

Andy_H:  OK, I’m just going to stop you there for one second. Uh… are you afraid of small spaces or large spaces?

Romeo:  Well… well… I guess both. I mean… it’s a big space, but it’s so compact, there is just going to be all these people around me!

Andy_H:  No, no, I understand. I just want to drop some knowledge on you.

Romeo:  OK.

Andy_H:  All right. So, claustrophobia is when you are like in a cave and, you know, you can’t actually move out of the cave. What you have, my friend, is agoraphobia.

Romeo:  Agoraphobia?

Andy_H:  Where you’re afraid of being like out in public with like millions of other people. Which like, honestly, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know that you suffered from that. Have you ever heard of exposure therapy, my friend?

Romeo:  Exposure therapy?

Andy_H:  All right, all right. Check this out. Exposure therapy is where… it’s… You like, you have a fear of something. And then you purposely go out and face that fear so you can get over it.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Relative Pronouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo tells Andy that he has claustrophobia. He is going to a concert in a stadium. The stadium will have lots of people. He hates being around lots of people because they all have their ticks and nasty habits. Andy needs to be clear about something, so he asks Romeo if he’s afraid of small or large spaces? Romeo isn’t quite sure. He just knows he doesn’t like to be around lots of people.

Andy wants to drop some knowledge on Romeo about phobias. He explains that claustrophobia is the fear of being in compact spaces. He thinks Romeo has agoraphobia instead. Romeo doesn’t know what agoraphobia is. Andy says that agoraphobia is the fear of being around lots and lots of people. He thinks Romeo should face his fear by going to the concert! This would be good exposure therapy.

What are you afraid of? How will you face your fear?

Comments

smettbonia

Austria

I was afraid of wasps and bees for a very long time. When I saw one, I ran away. Screaming all the way. When I informed myself about the differencies of bees and wasps, it got much better. I’m “only” afraid of wasps now – haha.

09:57 PM Sep 27 2017 |

Wordsmith

WordsmithSuper Member!

United States

The audio is back! We can all hear now. :)

09:41 PM Sep 06 2017 |

DHM

Mexico

I don´t hear any word

08:26 PM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

VOLTS

VOLTSSuper Member!

Brazil

hey… sounds good… but there is no sound… nothing recorded…

08:03 PM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

joseantoniopmo

Brazil

There is no sound.

07:45 PM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

rofit

rofit

Poland

Can you fix this problem?

07:42 PM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

I don’t hear anything either. 

10:15 AM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

rofit

rofit

Poland

I don’t hear anything :( 

07:55 AM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

I am afraid of no money to live. So I work hard to face my fear.

I am afraid of illness and unhealthy so I like sports.

I am afraid of seeing genocide  so I study everyday because when I know more a little the fear will be reducing a little.

I am afraid of the pollution of the air and the environment so I use the environmental protection things in living and protect the plants and lawn and so on. I believe that the good environment needs everyone to do a little.

03:59 AM Sep 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: