Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

keep it under lock and key

简体
keep it under lock and key
守口如瓶

Date: Apr 25 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I’m really excited about sharing with the fans and keeping it under lock and key until that time comes up.”
- Singer Joe Jonas on the new Jonas Brothers album (Parade.com)

“我很高兴能和歌迷们一起分享,但在这一时刻到来之前我会一直守口如瓶。”
— 歌手乔·乔纳斯 (Joe Jonas) 谈论新专辑《乔纳斯兄弟》(Jonas Brothers)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

keep secret, don’t tell anyone

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Do you keep a diary? Do you write all your most secret and private thoughts in it? What do you do so that no one else will read your diary? Maybe you hide it away in a secret place. Or, even better, maybe you buy a special tiny lock and key for it. If you keep your diary under lock and key, no one else will be able to open it.

Of course, some secrets you never actually write down. Maybe your best friend tells you something that she doesn’t want anyone else to know about. She tells you that she’ll trust you with her secret, as long as you promise to keep it under lock and key. You’re not literally going to lock it up anywhere, but you’ll keep it to yourself, as if the secret were actually locked away.

Pop singer Joe Jonas knows that his many fans are excited to hear his new album. And he’s excited about sharing the music with them, but not until the time is right. Until the album is ready to be released to the public, he’s going to keep it under lock and key.

Are you good at keeping secrets? What do you do when you have a secret that you want kept under lock and key?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Okay, I’ll tell you what happened on my date, but you have to keep it under lock and key. Don’t tell anyone!”

“My teacher always keeps the essay topic under lock and key until the day of the exam.”

“The army commander knows what really happened during the battle, but he’s keeping it under lock and key.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

keeping it secret
by dimaskurniawan
Manu4 Keep something like a big secret.
by Manu4
goodmahsa keep it under wraps
by goodmahsa
britdam007 Keeping it under and lock and key means to keep it nothing but secret.
by britdam007
Keep something as a secret
by chotikabest
keep sth as a secret,not reveal it until a certain time
by zhaleh hoor
FUN777 To keep something as a secret.
by FUN777
Keep it a secret
by DarknessLight
TITO007 keep it secret
by TITO007
aria8111 to keep something in secret and do not let it to be decrypted
by aria8111
Julissita Keep it secret.
by Julissita
dearpesar keep it very secure and safe
by dearpesar

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Yes, secret isn’t secret when can be revealed for someone, even for only one person!! Secret should be kept under lock and key until the key will be lost or the lock will be rusting!!

08:51 AM Apr 27 2013 |

sama.a

sama.a

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

While you can not keep YOUR secret under lock and key and say it to someone else, don’t expect him to keep it under lock and key!

10:20 PM Apr 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

TranceSoul

TranceSoul

Poland

Ahahhaa, Julito what are You talking about?? :D You are crazy.

But you know what..good to know, our friendship is over! :D hahha

06:46 PM Apr 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

TranceSoul

TranceSoul

Poland

I can keep secrets under lock and key. Although sometimes it is hard because there are things that make me  feel like I have to reveal for someone’s good. So, sometimes I’d rather not know this secret.

There is a one person who knows about me everything and I don’t need to keep anything under lock and key. But I know people who have a big problem at kleeping secrets, so I don’t talk to them about my private life and etc.

06:17 PM Apr 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

DarknessLight

Germany

I can keep secrets quite well, I never tell secrets no matter what happens. If I want to keep a secret under lock and key I simply don’t tell anyone about it, no matter how much I trust this person, I just keep it for myself.

06:08 PM Apr 25 2013 |

Leila92

Leila92

Azerbaijan

Keeping friend’s personal information under lock and key is a strong character.

03:38 PM Apr 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

bellaboo2422

Pakistan

i’m very good at keeping things under lock and key. its hard sometimes to keep things under wrapes but if we have strong innerself we wins the match. to keep things under lock and key is a real big deal for a person i think, some times we act kinda fishy and it gives the hint to snoopers so be careful all the time think before u speak. once you make a mistke, then twiddle your thumb now.

03:38 PM Apr 25 2013 |

georgie25

Argentina

I LOVE THIS IDIOM .. I WANT TO KNOW MANY MORE..

03:13 PM Apr 25 2013 |

Son of English

Hong Kong

I kidnapped the Jonas Brothers and kept them under lock and key. Many 12 year old girls around the world cried. Then they stopped and bought Justin Bieber CDs instead.

02:16 PM Apr 25 2013 |

phidak

Togo

keep something secret like priest keep one’s confession

01:53 PM Apr 25 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I think any kind of problems should be kept under lock and key. This  should be only your secret. If you share it, people will think you’re a loser. Well, they will give advice but will it be helpful to you? So, in this case, it’s better to keep it to yourself and surmount it in one day. But it’s better as soon as possible as when it drags on, it’s going to be quite not a secret anymore ;). All the other positive stuff can be unlocked, shared and rejoyced with others. And one more, once a very wise lady told me  that any kind of health problems should be kept under lock and key as well. Well,  I agree more or less as  it belongs to a problem category too. Share it with your doctor ;)

12:55 PM Apr 25 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I must confess that though how much  I have tried   I was not good at keeping  secrets ,for one unknown reason my mouth unzipped soon after,  breaking the promise that  I would keep to myself  the information received. For me, the best secret is the one  that you  keep to  yourself . I acknowledge that  i am not reliable when it comes to keep info  under locks and key  ,so my advice to you  is don´t trust me , unless you want to see  your well kept” secret  ” discussed on  You Tube the next day.  lol…...grin

12:08 PM Apr 25 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

I consider myself a good at keeping secrets. If someone tells me some information and asks to keep it under lock and key, I always satisfy that request and don’t tell about it ever. Frankly speaking, it is very convenient to share with me some secrets because I’m very easy to keep it under lock and key – I just forget it. I don’t make a special point doing it. When it isn’t my secret or that information hasn’t necessary for memorizing, my mind very quickly and unnoticed for me to erase it. My friends really appreciate it because they feel better when share important information for them and nobody knowa about it whenever because I listen and forget about it very soon.

Speaking about my secrets and how I keep it under lock and key, I try don’t tell anyone my secrets or internal thoughts. It doesn’t mean that I haven’t real friends. I have. I’m sure that a real secret has to keep only in you. Truthfully I can confident all my secrets except for me only to my mother, but I try not worry her such information. I believe that keeping someone else’s secrets under lock and key is a rather difficult task and therefore your own secrets keep in yourself. 

11:38 AM Apr 25 2013 |

GunayGasimova

Azerbaijan

If i didnt tell my friend that was a secret , she  would always forget to keep it under lock and key.

10:45 AM Apr 25 2013 |

Abo9od

Abo9od

Saudi Arabia

I have one of my friends i don’t have to tell him keep it under luck and key because i trust him too much.

10:07 AM Apr 25 2013 |

2 people like this

RenaenascenceTa

China

Maybe it means isomeone doesnt want others to know his secret,so keet it under lock and key

09:58 AM Apr 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

If someone says me something and doesnt want others to know about it,I keep it under lo k and key and it must be so.

09:49 AM Apr 25 2013 |

mosa90

mosa90

Saudi Arabia

everyone have secret things but  they should put it under the lock and key  so don’t blame others when they share your secret   if you didn’t protect 

07:10 AM Apr 25 2013 |

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

we can’t keep all thing you have under lock and key 1

07:01 AM Apr 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

kai858

kai858

China

donot tell your secret to anybody!

06:47 AM Apr 25 2013 |