Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do Christians go to Church In a speciall day..."Sunday"?

Self Talker

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I want to know why do Christians go to church In a special day "Sunday"..what is the reason..Regardless of insult any religions…..

I think the word "SUN day ",has to change to "SON day"..Because Christians believe that Jesus is SON of God….

Does Christians Worship Sun,In sun days?

Any Christians (who are reading this post) have ever think about this question?

09:34 AM Mar 06 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

A christian person can go to church from Moday to Sunday.

09:50 AM Mar 06 2011 |

Self Talker

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

But they especially  go on sun days…????

09:52 AM Mar 06 2011 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

With few exceptions, in other days the church does not perform religious service.

Divine Liturgy is Sunday only, the day when God has rested. Unfortunately, they don't worship Sun. If it would be like that, maybe I'd like to go at church too.

07:53 PM Mar 06 2011 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

As Whitney said, many people go to the church in the other days of the weeks too, but why mainly on Sunday? Who knows that it has something to do with Sunday being the last day of the week in many countries? In mine the last day of the week is Saturday (Sábado). As you may know, the 7th day was the day that God rested and sanctified it:

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Genesis 2:2-3

Now pay attention to one thing, when saying christians, keep in mind that you are referring to Catholics, Orthodoxes, Protestants, Adventists, Mormons, etc. So it makes your claim wrong!

Adventists, for example, don't go to the church mainly on Sunday, they go to the church on Saturday which is better known as Sabbath.

That thing of Sun Day of worship that you said is an insane claim as well (for the present, not talking about the past and about polytheist religions), so the Saturday would be Saturn Day of worship for christians? Or Monday would be the Moon Day of worship for christians? By the way, in my language the words for the days of the week have nothing to do with all those planets, sun, moon, gods, etc. :) But in English, yes, it has origin from pagan cults as I've heard.

12:38 AM Mar 07 2011 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

By the way, if you want to tell us why FRIDAY (Frigg Day) is the day of the special pray in Islam, we'd be glad to know. I'm sure you don't worship the goddess Frigg (also known as Venus), do you?

12:49 AM Mar 07 2011 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

You're welcome. :)

01:49 AM Mar 07 2011 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

I don't go to church, but I know much about religion :)  In Russian Sunday is Voskresenie which means revival or resurrection. Orthodox Christians go to church every day when they need it or on Religious celebrations.

09:01 AM Mar 07 2011 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

Torpeda, sorry, but I wrote almost the  same above.

07:38 AM Mar 08 2011 |

Lovely Fabian

United Arab Emirates

"Any Christians (who are reading this post) have ever think about this question?"

Perhaps none because the answers to your questions are obvious..

Monique..

Well said.. Good to see you again..Smile

05:42 AM Mar 09 2011 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

In Romanian language Sunday is Duminica, from the Latin "Dies Dominus" which means the day of God. His statement isn't sustainable from the start, because not all Christians speak English… but so it is when you get bored.

08:58 PM Mar 09 2011 |