Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Funny story of three friends who came to the New York City!

osesame

osesame

Egypt

*Not long ago, three friends came to the New York city. They decided to stay in a hotel during the visit. It so happened that their room ended up being on the 60th floor. The policy of the hotel was that every night after 12:00 a.m. the elevators are shut down for security reasons. So on the next day, the three friends rented a car and went out to explore the city. They enjoyed movies, concerts, and other things throughout the whole day. At one point, they remembered that they have to get back to the hotel before 12 a.m. When they arrived, it was beyond 12 a.m. at night. The elevators were shut down. There was no other way to get back to their room but to take the stairs all the way to the 60th floor. All of a sudden, one friend got an idea. He said “For the first 20 floors, I will tell jokes to keep us going. Then another one of us could say wisdom stories for the next 20 floors. Then, we will cover the other 20 floors with sad stories.” So, one of the friends started with the jokes. With laughs and joy, they reached the 20th floor. Now, another friend started saying stories that are full of wisdom. So, they learned a lot while reaching the 40th floor. Now, it was time for the sad stories. So, the third friend started thus, “My first sad story is that I left the key for the room in the car.”
Now, what is the point of this story? This story resembles our life cycle. For the first 20 years of our life, we spend time in joking and enjoying whatever is out there. Then, after we reach 20, we go into the work force, get married, have kids and this is the time when we use our wisdom. Then, if we reach 40, we finally see the white hairs and begin to think that my life is coming to an end.
It’s better that we start our life in the very beginning by remembering death rather than preparing for it at the end our life when very few of us have the energy to obey Allah completely.

12:28 PM Oct 23 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

:-(

India

Hope in another time I can read whole of this story :)

Pls. Don't delay it till ur Forty!! ;-)

06:12 PM Oct 23 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Hi Osesame,

a nice story. And your comment is also nice. I dont know how old you are but I think that you are very very younger than me. So dont worry about your age.

The story tells me that we can't do everything in a easy way.  We maybe think to overcome the barrier but there is still another barrier to overcome. The question is how to deal with it. Do we give it up or struggle forSmile

Thanks a lot for it and have a nice weekend… 

06:53 PM Oct 23 2009 |

Atlas Lion

Atlas Lion

United Arab Emirates

Wonderful ,

U hit the point bcz this how it is So, unwary person weak up!!

07:53 PM Oct 23 2009 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Good for health to begin again;))Smile

Next time don't forget to check your keys… i hope after that experience you will never repeat the mentioned mistake again…... 

07:22 AM Oct 24 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

r />”Pls. Don’t delay it till ur Forty!! ;-)”
what a comment!!!...
Hi Sunay,
welcome back, long time to see ur nice comments…
about me i’m before the second 20 stairs by 1 floor :)
really, i don’t know how they have pass so quickly, i feel as if i have 27 or 28 as max. , may be coz i haven’t white hair yet?!!!
but i didn’t get the other barrier that u mean to answer the question from my point of view! generally hope for u to know the answer correctly either from me or from life ,
hope for u the best! :)
thanks Atlas,
and u r welcome with us.
Ulya aga
ooh, nice to know that u studied the article, but what do u eat in ur photo?!!;_)
CranBerry
” I know it myself, when I forget to take the door-keys and have to return for 2 km to take them.
ooh Cran, the rat play in my lap now from ur comment…
btw, it is an egyption proverb talk about worry, that i’m afraid u throw urself from up….don’t do that, u have kids :)
Leaf,
u remind me with the saying of the second Caliphate Omar : Do for ur life as u live for ever , and do for ur hereafter as if u will die tomorrow!
I think it is comprehensive!

07:41 AM Oct 24 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Sladeen
“Next time don’t forget to check your keys…”
right that is in daily life but according to life in all, it will not return another time to take the lesson!!

07:49 AM Oct 24 2009 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

agree Osesame! Would you please amend the title of post "Funny story of three friends …!" into " Serious story of three friends …!". Smile

08:00 AM Oct 24 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Salladeen,
u r right, but ppl don’t like such titles….have i deceived them?!!! :)
Rosella,
i’m ascending to it, still 11 stairs hahaha

12:07 PM Oct 24 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Taking a path not so clear
Leaves the mind in a state of fear
For what to come
The heart is rendered
Actions do not glow
But the horizon is there
Brush off the despair
Beyond the bridge’s barrier
Remove all misfortunate gambling
Add perpetual charity and blessing
Rise from where you have fallen
Into the arms of faith above
Eat sweet oranges, not sour lemons
Come into a life of security and love
Take a path so distinctively clear
Give your heart to your true Dear
He is your Creator, the one you’ll adore
Escape from sadness; render your heart no more

01:59 PM Oct 24 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Thanks Alyiah for ur words, it is really touching and expressive, hope we can apply our islam teachings as can as possible to win in the hereafter and not be like who forget it in this life so Allah forget him in the hereafter amen

01:37 PM Oct 25 2009 |