Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Married to a Fictional Character
Married to a Fictional Character

Learn English meaning of ‘married a fictional character’

Date: Mar 09 2018

Themes: Friend, News, Pop Culture, Tech

Grammar: Third Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Once upon a time, in Tokyo, Japan, there was a man named Sal. Sal played a video game called ‘Love Plus’ on Nintendo. In ‘Love Plus,’ you can make your own boyfriend or girlfriend and talk to them. Sal made a beautiful girl named Nene and fell in love with her. He took her to a beach resort in Guam, Disneyland, and many other places. They fell in love and he… married her?!

This is a very controversial, true story. Sal must be obsessed and addicted to video games if he married a virtual character. Many people find this very creepy. Others find it… trendy? The marriage is not actually legal. Sal just did it for fun and to express his devotion. But still, is he taking it too far?

Romeo talks about Nene and Sal’s marriage. Listen as he and Dominique discuss in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Dominique

Dominique

Romeo:  If I had married a fictional character, I would have to lose my mind.

Dominique:  What are you talking about?

Romeo:  You never heard of the… the guy who like… he, like, identified his name as, like, Sal and super obsessed, I guess, with his Nintendo DS. He claimed that he had actually married the DS.

Dominique:  Are you talking about that guy that married a fictional anime character?

Romeo:  Something like that. Yeah.

Dominique:  In a Nintendo game?

Romeo:  Right. I…

Dominique:  Like, Love Plus, or something like that?

Romeo:  It… I think that is exactly what it is!

Dominique:  That is so creepy!

Romeo:  It’s super trendy.

Dominique:  Oh, my gosh!

Romeo:  And I could not, like, really even fathom or imagine finishing to read the story. So, I don’t know all the facts.

Dominique:  That’s… gotta be fake.

Romeo:  No, it’s a real thing! I mean…

Dominique:  So, that actually happened?

Romeo:  ...It’s fictional. But, it’s real!

Dominique:  Like, where did he get married? Like, where… who… where in the world did he go for that to actually happen?

Romeo:  Wherever there are wedding laws that are less strict, I guess. I…

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Third Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo says that if he married a fictional character, he would have to be crazy. He’s talking about a guy named Sal who was obsessed with his Nintendo DS game. He married a character, Nene, from it! Dominique has heard about it—the game is called ‘Love Plus’. She thinks that is so creepy.

Romeo says the game is trendy. Romeo doesn’t want to say too much about the wedding because he doesn’t know everything about it. Dominique says the story must be fake! Is the wedding legal? Where did this guy get married? Where in the world would they allow that? So many questions, very few answers.

Would you ever marry a fictional character? Is this creepy or okay?

If I had married someone, I would have been happy is correct. This is because it uses the correct form of the third conditional.
The third conditional uses. One is formed with If + subject + past perfect verb (“If I had married”, in this case). The other is formed with subject + would have + past participle (“I would have been happy”). This is why this example is correct.

Comments

jplaguia

Brazil

I think that people who does that have some serious social problems, like loneliness, or even some kind of depression and getting married with an fictional character make that sensation less painful for him, I don’t know. But something I am sure, this isn’t normal.

07:45 PM Mar 10 2018 |

lovalina

Russian Federation

I would never marry a fictional character. I think people who does these things have a lot of time. Consequently they do this nonse) I think it’s creepy and doesn’t make sense. I don’t see anything so terible about that) It’s just my subjective opinion.

07:10 PM Mar 10 2018 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hahaha.

so funny.most of this matters is just for attracting attention

05:53 AM Mar 10 2018 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo