Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

onscreen

onscreen

Date: Dec 28 2017

Themes: Hobbies, Time, Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“People see how much fun we have onscreen, and we are having fun filming because we love to work. But they think we have, like, waterslides on set.”

—Actor Caleb McLaughlin, speaking about work and play while making Stranger Things (NME)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

in a movie or TV show; on the TV screen

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Would you like to be famous? Even better, would you like to star in a popular TV show? Some people were made to be on TV. They have big, fun personalities, and many people like watching them. They create mystery, comedy, and drama onscreen. In the past, onscreen experiences happened either in a movie theater or on your TV. But today, you can view almost anything onscreen with your smartphone or computer.

Lately, one of the most popular onscreen events has been the Netflix show Stranger Things. The young stars of this TV show have a lot of fun together. Caleb McLaughlin plays Lucas, and he is serious about his work. However, he is still a kid, and he loves to play and joke with the other young actors. Sometimes, people think they have too much fun together, but it’s not true that they have waterslides in the TV studio.

What is your favorite thing to watch onscreen? Would you like to be onscreen?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie had a lot of onscreen chemistry in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.”

“I wonder how actors feel when they’re not onscreen.”

“The onscreen menu can help you choose a TV show.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Hadiss oescreen means on TV Tv shows
by Hadiss

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

I’m currently watching supernatural tv show on Netflix. About the actors life, I think the most difficult is to stay onscreen as long as you can. This adds some anxiety and pressure into their acting careers.

01:30 PM Jan 14 2018 |

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

I like Netflix originals: Prison Break, Breaking bad and Narcos etc. I absolutely agree that acting as a profession is not an easy job, for those who work onscreen are quite meticulous and they have to repeat same scenes and dialogues several times to get it well done. Sometimes I feel that actors after doing acting whole their lives are no longer themselves rather hodgepodge of characters. I feel that’s one of the reason that actors are more prone to mental health issues comparing those who live their natural lives.

02:05 PM Dec 30 2017 |

1 person likes this

fcf515

fcf515

Taiwan

I like to watch dramas as well as variety shows onscreen.

12:09 PM Dec 29 2017 |

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast