Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Getting Fired
Getting Fired

Learn English meaning of ‘getting fired’

Date: May 29 2017

Themes: News, Work

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Getting fired is very stressful. It is one of the most embarrassing things that can happen to people. Just ask FBI Director James Comey. He was recently fired by the President of the United States. He was a passionate FBI Director. Many people were very surprised that President Trump decided to let him go. James Comey found out he was fired when he saw it on television.

It might take awhile for the pain of getting fired to go away. Even though getting fired is hard, it is important to think about the good things. One good part about getting fired is that it gives people a chance to do something new and exciting with their lives. Maybe, James Comey always wanted to be an astronaut. Now, he has the chance to follow his dream of going into space.

Listen as Jordin tells Marni about how she was fired in this English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jordin

Jordin

Marni:  Jordin, what’s wrong? You look sad.

Jordin:  Uhhh, I am! I just got fired today.

Marni:  Oh my goodness! I’m so sorry!

Jordin:  Yeah, I mean, it’s really kind of embarrassing. I mean, I blew up at a customer, and…

Marni:  Oh.

Jordin:  …I swore, and it was bad, and really not good. And then my manager called me into her office and she was like, “You can’t do that. We can’t have you working here anymore. We’re going to have to let you go.”

Marni:  Let you go. Yeah.

Jordin:  And I was like, “Oh my god, you’re firing me?” And she was like…

Marni:  And she said yes.

Jordin:  “…yes.”

Marni:  Yeah, you got fired. Yeah, it happens, though! You get fired. And it sucks, and…

Jordin:  It does suck. It does not feel good.

Marni:  I’m sorry. And, you know, but it happens! And you’ll get through this, and you’ll move on. And ultimately, any time a person gets fired, it generally leads to better things. Right? I just, I’m a firm believer that this is, like, a step in the right direction for you.

Jordin:  Yeah. Maybe now I can finally open my own nursery!

Marni:  That’s what I’m talking about!

Jordin:  Yeah!

Marni:  Right? That’s been your dream.

Jordin:  Yeah, I can sell flowers…

Marni:  Open a nursery.

Jordin:  …and okra seeds!

Marni:  It will be awesome! Because you’re passionate about it. I think if this is the nudge in the direction that you needed, I think it’s all for the best.

Jordin:  I’m so ready.

Marni:  Good for you!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni notices that Jordin looks sad. Jordin tells Marni that she is sad because she got fired from her job. Jordin is very embarrassed about it. She blew up at a customer, and it was bad. Her boss told her that she couldn’t do that, and she was let go.

Marni tells Jordin that lots of people get fired. She will get through this and be OK. Now, Jordin can follow her dream of owning a nursery. Jordin is passionate about flowers and okra seeds. Getting fired was the nudge Jordin needed to start a new life.

Have you ever been fired? If you were to get fired from your job, what would you do next?

Comments

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I never blew up at somebody before. I’m a dedicated person, so I can’t imagine myself getting fired.

09:29 PM May 29 2017 |

sara1370

sara1370

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i think geting fired is stressful,,,,fortunately i am not  firing till now…if happen this situation i dont have any idea for future

06:01 PM May 29 2017 |

EVAfrommexico

Mexico

Move on Jordin! I wish all the besto for ppl who lost job.

03:58 AM May 29 2017 |

Likes (4):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast