Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Texas
Texas

Learn English meaning of ‘Texas’

Date: May 19 2020

Themes: Food, Travel

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Each state in the United States has a unique character. Texas is a great example because many people have heard rumors about Texan cities. The city of Dallas has been popular for many reasons. Some lucky people working in the oil industry became rich there, and there was even a TV show about this culture. Today, Dallas is called the “Silicon Prairie” because there are many technology companies there.

Austin is another city in Texas with a unique personality. A lot of young people began moving to Austin because of the city’s music and film culture. They gave the city a hipster atmosphere, which some people love and others avoid. But no matter what, most people agree that Austin’s breakfast tacos are delicious, and some people travel miles to eat them.

Gary recently returned from Texas. Listen as he tells Jessica about his experience in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Jessica

Jessica

Gary:  If there’s one thing I walked away from Texas knowing, it’s that everything is bigger in Texas.

Jessica:  Really?

Gary:  Holy cow! The streets, all the cars, so many people…. It’s huge!

Jessica:  I have heard rumors about the breakfast tacos. Did you have those, or is that an Austin thing?

Gary:  I think it might be an Austin thing. I didn’t have any breakfast tacos in Dallas.

Jessica:  Oh! Well, I’ll have to get to Texas, and I’d love to stop in Austin as well. Although, I have heard there is a hipster vibe there.

Gary:  You know, it sounds a little like some other cities in the US, like Portland or Denver…

Jessica:  San Francisco…

Gary:  San Francisco. What do they call themselves in Austin, have you heard?

Jessica:  Austinite. Is that right?

Gary:  I don’t know.

Jessica:  Yeah. Well, maybe, I will go travel to Austin and become an Austinite.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Gary was visiting Texas recently, where he learned that everything in this state is bigger. He saw huge houses, streets, cars, and many people. Jessica is interested to learn more about Texas. She has heard rumors about delicious foods in Austin, such as breakfast tacos.

Jessica would like to visit Texas and see Austin, but she thinks there might be too much of a hipster vibe there. Gary says that he thinks this is true in many big US cities today. Gary asks Jessica if she knows what a person from Austin is called. She’s not sure, but she thinks the correct term is Austinite.

Have you visited Texas? What type of food from Texas would you like to eat?

Comments

maryam1990

maryam1990

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I haven’t visited Texas yet.

But l love traveling alot.

I like to travel all over the world by bicycle.

And l’m sure. I will do it.

I’ve heard fajitas is adelicious dish in Texas

I like to try it.

07:11 PM May 04 2016 |

lira_

lira_

Russian Federation

I’ve never been abroad but I really want to visit US some day! And not only Texas but as many states as possible :)

04:20 PM Apr 29 2016 |

1 person likes this

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Rabindra, Taco shells are very easy to make. They can be made crunchy or soft, and are usually made from corn flour. I prefer soft because it holds together better when you bite into it. There’s a few ways to make them depending on what you have to cook in, but they are really easy to make! They are tasty too when they are all hot and fresh.

There are plenty of Mexican members I think could tell you the authentic way to make them if you can’t find easy instructions (with pictures!) online. Fried in oil is most common, or baked, or some combination of both. There are many ways to get it cooked.

Typically tacos are filled with spiced shredded meat (I’ve seen beef, poultry, pork, fish, and wild game used- seperately of course), and topped with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and cheese. I like refried beans in mine also. Breakfast tacos are usually filled with foods you’d normally eat at breakfast, such as eggs. I ate one this morning, it was as good as you expect.

You should make some and have a party with your friends! Tacos are very popular party foods. You can make them exactly the way you like them, they are easy to make, and you probably have all the ingredients you need already.

07:26 PM Apr 27 2016 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

If the girl on the avatar to the lesson looks so cool hipster and she’s a dweller of Texas, what can be said about the guys. One thing i I know without walking into a town yet is that it’s full of very confident and tough people who knows a thing or two :)))

05:20 PM Apr 27 2016 |

joao correia

Brazil

Not yet. But I want.

I like to eat almost everything. :D

05:12 PM Apr 27 2016 |

crazy_shadow

Yemen

No , i haven’t yet. 
but who knows , maybe one day.
hope that :)) 

03:28 PM Apr 27 2016 |

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

No, unfortunately not yet. My favorit food are steaks and salad.

09:56 AM Apr 27 2016 |

rabindra shrestha

Nepal

No i never visite in Texas but i would like to visit there once time sure and i like to eat toco. I don’t know how it’s taste i never take taco in my life. I think it is so much taste. Maybe it is possible in my country Nepal. 

05:03 AM Apr 27 2016 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast