Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Acupuncture
Acupuncture

Learn English with this relaxation English lesson

Date: Jan 20 2021

Themes: Health

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Acupuncture is an important part of traditional Chinese medicine. It has been used for thousands of years to treat illness and pain, using thin needles throughout the body. To be a great practitioner of acupuncture takes years of study and practice. People who like acupuncture see their practitioner regularly for treatments to help with their medical problems.

While some people are skeptical of its benefits, many are convinced that acupuncture is relaxing. Even if a person does not have a medical problem, she might want treatments when she’s feeling stressed. Other people believe that acupuncture is important for one’s good health. It is a practice that is used around the world by millions of people.

Jessica and Brian are talking about the benefits of acupuncture. Can you guess who’s tried it and who hasn’t? Learn more in today’s English lesson about alternative medicine.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Brian

Brian

Jessica

Jessica

Brian:  So, you have done acupuncture before?

Jessica:  I have. I had a friend in college who convinced me to go have acupuncture treatments done. I was a little skeptical at first. But once I got there and they showed me the needles, which was really scary, I found out how relaxing it can be.

Brian:  I’m afraid of even giving blood. And I hear it’s really relaxing, but…

Jessica:  Brian, you have to be open to the experience. Because honestly, I don’t like getting my blood drawn. I’m pretty terrified of needles. But these are very painless, and you don’t even realize that you have needles in you. I found it to be so relaxing that I would fall asleep while I was having the acupuncture treatment done.

Brian:  Do you regularly do it?

Jessica:  Not anymore, but I used to. I was doing it weekly.

Brian:  Well, maybe I would be open to the experience. And if that worked out, who knows? I could become a practitioner.

Jessica:  There you go.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Brian is curious about acupuncture. Even though he’s afraid of having his blood drawn at the doctor’s, Brian has heard that acupuncture can be relaxing and he wants to learn more about it. Fortunately, Jessica has had acupuncture many times and can tell Brian all about her experience.

Jessica used to have acupuncture treatments when she was a student. She was worried at first, but the needles were relaxing to her instead of painful. Jessica tells Brian that he needs to be open to acupuncture. She thinks that he will like it if he tries it.

Do you get acupuncture? What does it feel like? How does it help you?

Comments

Naveen Singh Shahi

India

Acupuncture is one of the best and oldest treatment in anceint time. People believe that the practice began in China.

In the practices of traditional Chinese medicine, you put the needle through specific points in the body and stimulate the nerve. The nerve actually sends signals to the brain, and the brain releases neural hormones at that demage place.

I don’t know how much people have knowledge and they practice of it nowdays.<!-/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_210120_063524_543.sdoc->

01:05 AM Jan 20 2021 |

hasechan

hasechan

Japan

In my case, it really worked for my back pain and shoulder stiffness. Painless and quick effect.

05:43 AM Jul 18 2018 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

No, but my husband had done once.

My husband ever sprained his waist when he was working, and tried some medicines to no avail.  

Then I was advised  to try the acupuncture.  

Honestly , I was afraid of needles when it was stabbed into  body.  With the attitude of trying, I let him have acupuncture treatment.

To my surprise, my husband felt well after a acupuncture, and then, his waist became normal. 

03:32 AM Jul 18 2018 |

1 person likes this

ydal

ydal

Philippines

I haven’t tried this treatment but it looks very painful.ouch!

02:00 PM Aug 19 2014 |

1 person likes this

Jobee

Jobee

China

I am not skeptical of acupuncture,although I never have had this treatment. I should call acupuncture service instead of treatment. you can see many clinic provides acupuncture.I should be more open to this,maybe someday when I was painful.

02:38 AM Aug 17 2014 |

nourelyakine

Algeria

I Did not get  it, but I know it’s  healthy

06:01 PM Aug 16 2014 |

bravevivian

Ecuador

I haven’t tried this treatment.  It’s not very common here.  But I would like to try someday.

I like massages though, it’s relaxing too.

05:08 PM Aug 16 2014 |

Odyssee

Odyssee

China

Honestly speaking , acupuncture is really a good way to relaxing yourself. U could feel scared when u see thin needles. Don’t worry it’s painless . It’s worth to try .

01:24 PM Aug 16 2014 |

1 person likes this

Michele1

Michele1

Italy

I can say nothing about this kind of treatment,because I have never tried that , even though I am hearing a lot about it. The needle of acupuncture is hollow and nothing can pass through it. It is normally made by two different metallic materials, like steel,copper,etc. and those materials create a galvanic couple ,like a battery or a small direct current generator inside our body, modifying the very weak magnetic field that we have . If this is the reason why most people say to feel better after done that kind of treatment or if it only a feeling of well-being, I don’t know…if some friend here can explain to me, I will be very grateful.Thank you.

12:14 PM Aug 16 2014 |

2 people like this

run4jeet

India

great..

09:16 AM Aug 16 2014 |

abdulhalimhasan

Syrian Arab Republic

the sense of relaxation after doning acupuncture  is due to releasing internal morphine.

02:06 PM Aug 15 2014 |

sara1234b

sara1234b

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

HEY GUYS !

I read ur comments and iv found out how many poeple are scared of needle, it’s funny , actually  it kinda gave me courage to try it.

Erin_ , forugh ,.... There’s absolutely nothing to be scared of…:)))

Acupuncture has been recognized as a legitimate treatment for some conditions and is growing in popularity.

U know, ive heard that it is an ancient form of traditional Chinese medicine. It works on the principle of stimulating points in the body to correct imbalances in the flow of energy through channels known as meridians. This belief is based on the interaction of the five elements (wood, fire, earth, metal and water) and having profound effects on internal organs.

its interesting to know , isnt it ?

Five emotions are represented by these five elements: Water (fear) , Wood (anger) , Fire (happiness),  Earth (worry),  Metal (grief)

Sorry, that was long comment.

01:23 PM Aug 15 2014 |

Arafatalamri

Yemen

I do not get it , but I try to get .

01:09 PM Aug 15 2014 |

2 people like this

phn_uk

phn_uk

I have heard it a lot frorm different people that acupuncture treatment is so relaxing and it makes all your stress goes away from the body. You don’t need to have a particular sickness or deases to have this treatment done.

Actually I’m a bit like Brian, I don’t like getting my blood drawn and i don’t like those needles at all. But I may try it one day as more and more people are tending to it and they are very happy with their treatment. So even for once I want to give it a try to see the effects it can have on my body.

09:20 AM Aug 15 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

i have never tried but would love to try once to see how it feels. Then i will share my experience.

08:42 AM Aug 15 2014 |

meorazaghi

Needles, that sounds bother me.

I had a bad experience of needles, oh noooooooooooh.

08:38 AM Aug 15 2014 |

forugh

forugh

what ‘there you go ‘means???

08:04 AM Aug 15 2014 |

1 person likes this

forugh

forugh

I’m far too timid to be open to acupuncture.the stress before acupuncture is not worth relaxing after that.there are a lot of secure ways to relax!!

07:28 AM Aug 15 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

No…

I m scared when I see the needles…

07:15 AM Aug 15 2014 |

S&W

S&W

China

I had accepted acupuncture treatment for relax.Like Jessica,I was scared of looking those long and sharp needles,Actually,I didn’t feel any pain when the needle was stabbed.I thought it was a good way to help you get relax or other illness

12:07 AM Aug 15 2014 |

Likes (23):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast