简体
Silence
沉默

Learn the Zero Conditional

Date: Sep 07 2011

Themes: Travel

Grammar: Zero Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The expression “silence is golden” isn’t true for everybody. Some people can’t stand a lot of noise and like nothing better than a little peace and quiet. But others find silence uncomfortable. They prefer a little background noise at all times, and would rather it be too loud than too quiet.

But whether or not you think it’s golden, true silence is pretty rare. If you live in a big city, you’re constantly surrounded by noise from the street like car horns, sirens, buses and trains. Finding a few moments of silence can be a challenge at home, too, especially if you have children, a big family, or a lot of roommates.

It’s easier to find silence in remote places. But if you head out to the country in search of a little peace and quiet, don’t forget to silence your cell phone!
If you can stand a little noise now, listen to Ella and Marni chat about silence.

俗语“沉默是金”并不适合于每一个人。有些人无法忍受太多的噪音,而衷情于平和与宁静。可其他人却会感觉沉默令人不舒服。在任何时候,他们都喜欢略微吵闹的环境,而且他们认为过于吵闹总要好于过分安静。
但是,不管你是否认为“沉默是金”,真正的沉默是极为罕见的。如果你居住在大城市中,你将持续被街上的各种噪音包围,比如汽车喇叭、警笛声、公交车和火车的声音。在家中寻求片刻宁静也是一种挑战,尤其是如果你有孩子、有一个大家庭或者有很多室友时,更是难上加难。在偏远的地方能比较容易地找到安静。但是,当你去郊外寻找些许平和与安宁的时候,不要忘记将手机静音!
如果你现在还能忍受些许噪音,就来听艾拉和玛尼聊聊沉默吧。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Ella

Ella

Marni:  You know, Ella, that old expression “silence is golden”?

Ella:  Sometimes, maybe, but I don’t mind a little background noise.

Marni:  I just want some peace and quiet. I just want, you know, ten minutes of silence.

Ella:  For me, the house I live in is pretty old, so all the creaks and stuff like that kind of creeps me out. So for me, I love to have like background noise going on.

Marni:  I wonder if it’s my profession, you know, teaching. I just talk all day, I don’t shut up all day, so it just hits that point when I come home, I just want it to be quiet. I just want some peace and quiet. Just a little me time.

Ella:  Yeah, for me I feel like if it’s too quiet, then my thoughts just keep running and running and running. So it helps me relax when there’s some noise around.

Marni:  All that noise helps you relax? That’s fascinating. Yeah, I’m totally the opposite. I really, I think it sounds like a racket, so much background noise. Just shut up, you know?

Ella:  As soon as I get home I turn my laptop on, I have my stereo going, I throw on the TV. That just helps me relax.

Marni:  So you probably don’t really like going camping or getting out into the woods where it’s just quiet and still.

Ella:  Yeah, I usually bring a stereo if I go camping.

Marni:  Wow. Remind me to never go camping with you.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Zero Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni loves silence. She is a teacher, so she has to talk all day and is always around noisy children. When she gets home, she just wants a little peace and quiet.

Ella, on the other hand, doesn’t like silence. If it is too quiet, she can’t relax. Sometimes silence even creeps her out. At home, she always turns on her stereo or TV for background noise.

It’s hard for Marni to understand how Ella can stand all that noise. Ella even likes to bring a stereo with her when she goes camping. Marni says she could never go camping with Ella. She loves the peace and quiet of remote places.

Do you like silence, or do you prefer to have some background noise? Is there a lot of noise where you live?

Comments

DavidSt

DavidSt

United States

How are you

11:39 AM Sep 16 2019 |

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Every silence has a loud voice in background, have you noticed?  people prefer that silence becuase they need to hear something special…

05:06 AM Jan 22 2015 |

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

I remember when my family first moved into our current house, the neighborhood  was very peaceful and not very noisy even during daytime. Then one day a private school was built opposite my house, and it has become so noisy when pupils arrive at school every morning. Because of that,  I really like silence whenever possible.

06:42 AM Aug 27 2014 |

mido-valdimar

Morocco

hi all …i’m mehdi   : ” i have a girlfriend . she has 36 years old and i have 21 years old …. so it’s a problem in our relationship or not.

11:45 PM Apr 22 2012 |

chenxzboy

chenxzboy

China

沉默是金

12:39 PM Apr 22 2012 |

farid1390

farid1390

Afghanistan

I agreed with other members…thank you for sharing this topic.

03:40 AM Apr 22 2012 |

areand

areand

Philippines

yeah it depends, on my side when im lonely i really need to be in peace,,

12:15 PM Apr 21 2012 |

yukiqc

yukiqc

China

It depends.  I like silence while I’m studying, but while I’m doing chores or other things a little background noise is OK.

01:27 AM Apr 21 2012 |

1 person likes this

linglinghuang

China

I agree with Ella.

08:49 AM Apr 20 2012 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

f

03:55 PM Sep 13 2011 |

refaah

refaah

Pakistan

uhhhhh, I always need silence.

my siblings are so noisy all the time and the only relaxing hours of the whole 24 hours are when they sleep… FINALLY

I don’t like background noise but yeah background music is okay.

Silence is good for health though.

07:20 PM Sep 11 2011 |

awesome_88

Turkey

i prefer some background noise in my house. i live in a big city actually, and the noise exists all time. However, i like some sounds around me while i am surfing internet or reading a book.

03:00 PM Sep 11 2011 |

Zahar.Bana

Zahar.Bana

Iraq

I like the silent places and the only place I feel silently in it  ...  is our garden  ... and before is forget  I like campingLaughing .. but I cant go to  camp !!!

that’s good thing ..but it is difficult for me .

08:10 PM Sep 10 2011 |

faisal abdo

Sudan

for me  ilike silent and quite place

11:32 AM Sep 10 2011 |

M.NOUR

M.NOUR

Sudan

actually  i hate noise and  like  to be in quiet  place usually because noise disturb me  and i can’t consentrate if i’m doing  some work specially studing but  on the other hand noise  can’t  prevert me to sleep i can sleep in noise background

03:59 PM Sep 09 2011 |

happysmilesunny

China

Usually, I‘d llike to be silence, but sometimes, it would be delight if there is some background noise outside my room~

01:53 PM Sep 08 2011 |

samjohns

samjohns

Belgium

hello

01:08 PM Sep 08 2011 |

negin hmt

negin hmt

everyone tells me to speak more but i usually prefer to be quiet, specially when i am sad.i love the silence of night so i am a night person!

07:56 PM Sep 07 2011 |

saeedsirtex

hi…i am quite most of time at class…...out if class,is really opposite….

if u are not quite u never could here the speaker….

i love quite place but i don t love the mankind who is always be quite…like silent mobile..no one could speak and communicate with them…in this case silent people who is speak just a word i think they are like die….

hay friend…just speak and after it be silent to hear others word…..

07:23 PM Sep 07 2011 |

yukitw

yukitw

Taiwan

I lie quiet, it let me have more thinking.

05:49 PM Sep 07 2011 |

Likes (34):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast