Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Grammar problems

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi all,

I am an English teacher working in Colombia and I have a question for the English learners.

What is the most difficult part of English grammar for you? (what gives you the most trouble, or is the hardest for you to remember?

08:28 PM Oct 27 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

NRLHOSSAIN

Bangladesh

I had seen some problem here wriiten by English baby friends. Taking this opportunity i want to ask you a question. related with grammer - I want to avoid relative pronoun in a sentence. Because to make a sentence i do complex - so what i want to mean a sentence to the  readers many times sentences meaning are become different meaning. I chose to write wishing sentence,Sometimes it becames to make difficult.Can you please say how can i write simple sentence. What is the technique to write simple sentence. Hope i will get feedback from you.

Thank you—Hossain.. Bangladesh

03:35 AM Oct 28 2007 |

NRLHOSSAIN

Bangladesh

I had seen some problem here wriiten by English baby friends. Taking this opportunity i want to ask you a question related with grammer. I wanted to avoid relative pronoun in a sentence. Because to make a simple sentence i always  do complex what i donot want at all. What  i  wanted to meaning  in a sentence to the  readers many times sentences meaning  became different meaning. I chose to write wishing sentence,Sometimes it became to make difficult for me.Can you please say how can i write simple sentence. What is the technique to write simple sentence. Hope i will get feedback from you.

03:39 AM Oct 28 2007 |

alexmain

alexmain

Russian Federation

Hi, fellas. Pleas help me. I came across a new song by paul McCartney called ever present past. Please tell me what does it mean.  

06:11 AM Oct 28 2007 |

Taha Buğra

Taha Buğra

Turkey

Hi i m a university student and the difficult one is listenning for me.

06:37 AM Oct 28 2007 |

t k awan

t k awan

Pakistan

thanks God at least one teacher came to rescue me.

Sir,i am Asian.we were the colony of English empire but unfortunatily they went back and they left misries and English for us.English is not our native langauage but whole life we spent to learn it.

any how main problem is tenses.

they always tense me.

second is vacbulary.

third is prononciation

fourth is spellings.

fifth is under standing the fast english like Austrailians.

so i think and believe that you will hwlp me out.

one thing more iportant to mention here that i am not shy,i always speak wrong or right English but never feel that. 

07:46 AM Oct 28 2007 |

Mr.Q

Mr.Q

Jordan

thanks for all of you,
even if am very bad in english but i well start from here to break the ice and i well try my best withot any shame of my bad language
iam thinking this is the best place to learn english
now i think about the donkies as an example to me to follow him in learning english
the donky always go and back with the same road and finally he catch and save the map or the road in his mind
we always going and back not with the same road
vocabulary, grammer, reading, writing and speaking
we should learn all of it in the same time
but we should focus on one thing as a first step
(one road) that what i will start to do like the donkySmile

our teacher can you help me to start with simple teans
as a first road for me
and i will compleate the map in the fuature

thanks

08:57 AM Oct 28 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Can you please say how can i write simple sentence. What is the technique to write simple sentence. Hope i will get feedback from you.

Hi Hossain.

There are many ways to construct sentences in English, but one of the simplest and most common formulas is SVO   Subject  Verb  Object.

For example     Alfred ate breakfast   Alfred (subject) ate (verb) breakfast (object

or    Catherine drives a green Audi

In questions, the order remains the same, but we add Do or Does (an auxiallary verb) before the subject

So…   Did Alfred eat breakfast?   Does Catherine drive a green Audi?

and questions words like Who, When etc. go before the auxialliary

When did Alfred eat breakfast?   Why does Catherin drive a green Audi.

Of course, this is just one simple construction, but it's very common and I hope it helps.  

01:18 PM Oct 28 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi, fellas. Pleas help me. I came across a new song by paul McCartney called ever present past. Please tell me what does it mean.

I am not familiar with the song, but it sounds like it might be about someone who always lives in the past (they are always thinking about the past, and not the present)

"ever present"   in this context would mean – always present, always here.

01:20 PM Oct 28 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

one thing more iportant to mention here that i am not shy,i always speak wrong or right English but never feel that.

That's excellent, TK. Don't worry about making mistakes, because we all do it, even native speakers. I have to admit that I am a poor student of language ( I am learning Spanish) because I am very shy to speak unless I know my speech will be perfect. Exactly what I tell my students not to do.

01:22 PM Oct 28 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

our teacher can you help me to start with simple teans
as a first road for me
and i will compleate the map in the fuature

Hi Mr. Q.

I think that's an interesting way to think about it, and I think it's great you are thinking about a learning strategy. I'm not sure where you want to start. With simple tenses? 

I think if you learn how to use the present and present progressive (or continuous) tenses and the simple past tense in English, you can make yourself understood in many many situations. 

01:29 PM Oct 28 2007 |